Some cool prepare for collapse images:
New Orleans – French Quarter: St. Louis Cathedral – The Life of Saint Louis IX Stained Glass
Image by wallyg
Ten large stained-glass windows, dating to an 1930 renovation, sitting in Saint Louis Cathedral depict the life and death of Louis IX, King of France, and patron saint of the church. This window depicts the Louis IX receiving the key to the city of Damietta. In the middle of May, 1249, the royal fleet left Cyprus and headed directly for Damietta. Louis and the other leaders seem to have chosen Damietta as their first point of attack soon after they arrived in Cyprus. The crusaders prepared themselves for battle by confession and making their wills. Early Saturday morning, after Mass, Louis armed himself and ordered his followers into the boats.
The Moslem defenders were afraid that the sultan had died, that no further help was coming, so they withdrew quietly from the city of Damietta Saturday night. Access to the city was made so easy that many Christians had entered Damietta by Sunday afternoon, and the king’s banner was placed triumphantly on a high tower.
The Saint Louis Cathedral, sitting along Place John Paul II, the promenaded section of Chartres Street stretching the last length of Jackson Square is the oldest, continuously operating cathedral in the United States and the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans.
Three Roman Catholic churches have sat on this site since 1718. The first church was a crude wooden structure in the early days of the colony. Construction of a larger brick and timber church began in 1725 and was completed in 1727. It was destroyed, along with a large number of other buildings of the city, in the Great New Orleans Fire on Good Friday, March 21, 1788.
The cornerstone of the present structure, designed by Gilberto Guillemard and was financed by Don Andrès Alomonester y Rojas, was laid in 1789, elevated to cathedral status in 1794 and completed in 1795. In 1819, Henry S. Boneval Latrobe added the clock and bell tower. Between 1845 and 1851, Jacques N. B. de Pouilly remodeled and enlarged the church.
On 25 April, 1909 a dynamite bomb was set off in the Cathedral, blowing out windows and damaging galleries. The Cathedral suffered further damage in the New Orleans Hurricane of 1915. The following year a portion of the foundation collapsed, closing the church for a year, from Easter 1916 to Easter 1917, while repairs were made.
In 1964, the cathedral was designated as a minor basilica by Pope Paul VI. Pope John Paul II visited the basilica, on the occassion of his second pastoral visit in the United States on September 12, 1987.
While Hurricane Katrina did not hit the French Quarter hard, the high winds managed to displace two large oak trees in St. Anthony’s Garden behind the Cathedral. In the process, thirty feet of ornamental gate was dislodged, while the marble statue of Jesus Christ only lost a forefinger and a thumb. Because Katrina was suddenly downgraded from a Category 5 to a Category 4 and made a last second turn to the north just before impacting the coast, local folklore says that of Jesus sacrificed his two fingers while flicking the storm away from the city and saving it from its total destruction.
To St. Louis Cathedral’s left is the Cabildo, built in 1795. It served as the capitol for the Spanish colonial government, then later as City Hall, and home of the State Supreme Court, and today houses the Louisiana State Museum. It was here that the finalization of the Louisiana Purchase was signed. To the cathedral’s right is the Presbytère, built between 1794 and 1813. It originally housed the city’s Roman Catholic priests and authorities, and then served as a courthouse until 1911. Today it is part of the Louisiana State Museum, housing a Mardi Gras Exhibit.
Vieux Carré Historic District National Register #66000377 (1966)
The Launch of a Book
Image by Jocey K
On my walk around the city on a lovely Spring day. Christchurch October 5 2013 New Zealand.
I noticed a lot of dogs while was walking around and then found out why! It was the launch of a book called ‘Quake Dogs’.
The canine heroes and victims of Christchurch’s earthquakes are immortalised in a new book by Laura Sessions and Craig Bullock.
Quake Dogs tells the moving stories of 84 dogs, including Guinness, the Irish wolfhound who was awarded a New Zealander of the Year local hero award for his work with the Student Volunteer Army, and Nemo, a 13-year-old alsatian beagle cross with a special gift for predicting earthquakes. Author Joe Bennett contributes to the book with a moving tribute to his dog Blue, who was so traumatised by the quakes he spends much of his time hiding in Bennett’s car.
Boss. Photo / Random House Boss. Photo / Random House
An incredibly fast and almost manic border collie, Boss was 14 months old when Brenda, the national trainer for Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) dogs, adopted him from the Christchurch pound.
Brenda recognised his incredible drive and decided to give him a month of training in search and rescue.
Within six months, Boss was certified and became a fully operational USAR dog.
His intensive training included searching for volunteers hidden in piles of rubble amid confusion and noise – experiences that would help prepare him for the biggest search-and-rescue mission in New Zealand’s history.
On February 22, 2011, Boss was one of the first dogs to arrive at the collapsed and burning CTV building, about two-and-a-half hours after the big earthquake.
Like all USAR dogs in New Zealand, Boss had been trained to locate people who are alive and buried under rubble by scent, and to then alert his handler by barking frantically.
Just as they arrived at the CTV site, searchers were pulling two people out of the rubble.
Boss began searching on that side of the building, where a fire had broken out, and he quickly barked to indicate that someone was there.
On the other side of the site, where the building had collapsed, he barked to alert Brenda again.
In training, Boss would have been rewarded for finding someone with his special search toy, presented by the hidden person. This time, though, Boss did not get to stick around long enough to see whether anyone would emerge from the rubble, as he and Brenda had to race off to another site where they were needed.
However, when they came back to the CTV building later that day, someone said to Brenda, ‘You know where the dogs barked at that corner? They got several people out of there. Well done.’
Boss and the other USAR dogs not only helped to locate people who could be rescued, they also kept hope alive for those who were buried and waiting to be found.
After the quakes, once Brenda and Boss resumed their weekly Saturday walks, they frequently encountered a man walking a dalmatian. One day Brenda started talking with him and discovered he had been trapped in the PGC building during the February earthquake. He told Brenda the one thing that kept him going was hearing a dog barking and knowing rescuers were out there looking for him.
For more info: www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&…
Detail of February wind damage to the Hebrew Orphan Asylum
Image by Baltimore Heritage
On the afternoon of February 25, high winds combined with continued deterioration of the roof caused a significant collapse to the rear wall of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum. The collapse dropped a large amount of brick and other debris into the lot behind the building . Fortunately, none of the residents or staff at the adjoining Tuerk House were injured and Coppin State University, with assistance from Brawner Contractor Inc., took quick action to erect a safety fence around the area. Coppin State University, in consultation with its contractor and structural engineers, has started the process of assessing the damages to the building and preparing plans for the design and reconstruction of the collapsed building elements.
Buy It On Amazon.com – Discount Prices – CLICK HERE
Get The Lowest Price On Amazon
* The 1st food item that will fly off the shelf
* Where to get the top 3 items even if you’re barely making ends meet
* How to lockdown your supplies when the starving mob hits